from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To tell, declare, explain, or interpret; to divine; to guess.
- transitive v. To read.
- transitive v. To counsel, advise, warn, or direct.
- transitive v. To decree; to adjudge.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To declare; tell; interpret; explain.
- To counsel; advise; direct; teach.
- To guess; conjecture.
- To read.
- n. Advice; discourse; narration.
Old English arēdan, arǣdan, corresponding to a- + read. Cognate with German erraten. (Wiktionary)