American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Growing, living, or burrowing in sand: arenicolous worms.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- In zoology, inhabiting sand, as certain worms. See Arenicola.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. growing or living or burrowing in sand.
- adj. growing or living or burrowing in sand
- Latin harēna, arēna, sand; see arena + -colous. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Uma are arenicolous sand dune specialists, and have a ton of modifications to help them get around on the dunes.”
“Agamines are a really interesting group in terms of adaptation: we have scansorial, arenicolous and saxicolous species, the evolution of viviparity, and morphological transitions such as external ear loss.”
“In the case before us it is sufficient to refer to the Gelasimus of the mangrove swamps, which shares the same conditions of life with various Grapsoidae and yet does not agree with them, but with the arenicolous Ocypoda.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘arenicolous’.
A nitty-gritty list for words containing sand-, -sand-, or -sand; and apropos terms and phrases. Your contributions are welcome.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
A roster of adjectives that infrequently surface in typical conversation and writing. Many are dredged from scientific or other technical jargon or sieved from examples of disused archaic forms.
Looking for tweets for arenicolous.