from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A valuable silver ore, Ag2S, with a lead-gray color and metallic luster that is often tarnished a dull black.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Silver sulphide, (Ag2S), a primary ore of silver, in cubic or hexoctahedral crystals.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Sulphide of silver; -- also called vitreous silver, or silver glance. It has a metallic luster, a lead-gray color, and is sectile like lead.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Silver sulphid, a blackish lead gray mineral, occurring in crystals, in crusts, and massive.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a valuable silver ore consisting of silver sulfide (Ag2S)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
The most important ore mineral of silver is argentite (Ag2S, silver sulfide).
The most important mineral of silver is the sulphide, argentite or
Farther down it may be reprecipitated as native silver, argentite, and the sulpho-salts, by organic matter or by various sulphides.
In the weathering of mercury deposits, cinnabar behaves somewhat like the corresponding silver sulphide, argentite.
It also occurs combined with sulphur (as in argentite), with sulphur and antimony (as in stephanite or brittle silver ore, and in pyrargyrite or ruby silver), and with copper, sulphur, antimony, and arsenic, as in polybasite.
Previous Geo-Chemical data had shown the area systems, quartz vein stockworks and breccias bearing gold, silver, argentite and pyrite with trace amounts of galena as well as chalcopytrite, sphalerite and sulphosalt minerals.
The mineralized zone occurs from 268.75 metres to 288.6 metres in a volcanoclastic breccia mineralized with sphalerite, argentite and galena.
Since argentite is the main ore of silver, it is correlated with other sulfides such as lead and copper sulfides.
For silver, the commercial deposits that are the most important are the compounds that are the minerals tetrahedrite and argentite.
Acanthite / argentite were the dominant silver minerals contained in the concentrate for all three of the Loma,
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.