from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A medieval light helmet with a neck guard and movable visor.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of mediaeval full-face helmet
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A kind of helmet worn in the 14th, 15th, and 16th centuries.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The most complete and perfect defensive head-covering of the middle ages, introduced about 1450, and remaining in use until the abandonment of the closed headpiece, more than a century later.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a medieval helmet with a visor and a neck guard
Old French, alteration (influenced by Old Italian elmetto, helmet) of arme, weapon; see arm2.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)