from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Plural form of ascomycete.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. large class of higher fungi .
- n.pl. A large class of higher fungi distinguished by septate hyphæ, and by having their spores formed in asci, or spore sacs; the sac fungi. It comprises many orders, among which are the yeasts, molds, mildews, truffles, morels, etc. The class is coextensive with the phylum Ascomycota.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- A family of fungi characterized by the formation of free spores within elongated cells (asci), often associated with alternation of generation.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. large class of higher fungi coextensive with division Ascomycota: sac fungi
Sorry, no etymologies found.