American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Not social: "Bears are asocial, secretive animals” ( David Graber).
- adj. Avoiding or averse to the society of others; not sociable: "It's not that you're so asocial, but a man who likes people doesn't wind up in the Antarctic” ( Saul Bellow).
- adj. Unable or unwilling to conform to normal standards of social behavior; antisocial: "crime, riots, drug use and other asocial behavior” ( Derek Shearer).
- adj. Inconsiderate of others; self-centered.
- n. One that exhibits behavior and characteristics deemed asocial: "the other, and usually neglected, victims . . . the asocials . . . those who violated the Nazi work ethic and social norms” ( Mary Nolan).
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Unsocial; antagonistic to society.
- adj. given to avoiding association with others
- adj. hostile to or disruptive of normal standards of social behavior
“The choices in asocial violence becomes the little choices, the tactical rather than strategic choices such as the police in mumbai firing or not firing.”
“He describes an artist's relationship to the world around him as "asocial," with no "responsibility" to society at large.”
“Your driving fast parallel is spectacularly infelicitous, unless you are suggesting that 'mania junior is the most likely to be damaged by a form of' asocial 'behaviour, be it going to a school where teachers wear gowns, playing chicken on the M1 or driving too fast.”
“Finally, you read into my comments an "asocial" and "institutionally antiseptic" position which is not there.”
“Treberhilfe's website has since been shut down after angry donors flooded the portal with emails, calling Ehlert "asocial" and pledging never to donate again.”
“In school he had to beg for food and the Nazis considered him "asocial" and "cretinous".”
“My brother told me something a couple of days ago after another idiot in a fast car nearly smashed by beatle, is that our society is becoming asocial and rude.”
“The ICD-10 diagnostic criteria of the World Health Organization also lacks psychopathy as a personality disorder, its 1992 manual including Dissocial (Antisocial) Personality Disorder, which encompasses amoral, antisocial, asocial, psychopathic, and sociopathic personalities.”
“Inhale follows Paul into the dregs of drug and sex trafficking dens in the Baja borderlands where all things are possible to those who are tough enough, desperate enough, or rich enough to define a new asocial world in which saving one's own life, or the life of one's child, is seen by those convulsed with power, greed, grief, fear, or rage as the only thing that really matters.”
““Virtuous acts can license subsequent asocial and unethical behaviours,””
These user-created lists contain the word ‘asocial’.
A list of words that are odd or words that I have looked up.
Quiet, shy, Introverted, reserved, isolated, mysterious
These words describe me, and I like them. There are other words to describe me that I don't like. I haven't included them here.
Looking for tweets for asocial.