from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Rough or harsh; severe, stern, serious.
- n. Any one of several small coins, circulated around the eastern Mediterranean area from the 12th to 17th centuries.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. Rough; rugged; harsh; bitter; stern; fierce.
- n. The rough breathing; a mark (ʽ) placed over an initial vowel sound or over ρ to show that it is aspirated, that is, pronounced with h before it; thus "ws, pronounced hōs, "rh`twr, pronounced hrā"tōr.
- n. A Turkish money of account (formerly a coin), of little value; the 120th part of a piaster.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Rough; rugged; harsh; cruel; savage.
- n. In Greek grammar, a sign (′ ) placed before or over an initial vowel or
ρto show that it is aspirated, that is, pronounced as if h preceded it; the rough breathing. Thus, ο=ς= hos; ῤίς= hris.
- n. An old Egyptian and Turkish silver coin: now only a money of account.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. 20 aspers equal 1 kurus in Turkey
The asper was a century before the time of which writes, the tenth part of a ducat; for the same tribute which the Byzantine writers state at 300,000 aspers the Ottomans state at 30,000 ducats, about 15000l Note, vol.p. 636.
Many Elk calves taken asper the locals in the area I hunt.
And if I could add one asper in the scale of success, I would be with you heart and soul.
The more ferocious snakes here include fer-de-lance Bothrops asper, coral snake Micrurus spp., boa constrictor Boa constrictor, palm pit-viper Bothriechis spp. and bushmaster Lachesis muta.
Effects of geography and bathymetry on growth and maturity of yellowfin sole, Pleuronectes asper, in the eastern Bering Sea.
Also present are several nationally rare species of reptiles and amphibians, including Indian monitor Varanus bengalensis, giant Asiatic toad Bufo asper and Asiatic giant frog Rana Blythii.
Below the trees, a layer of tall herbs and coarse grasses grows to 2 to 3 m in height, including Caperonia palustris, Echinochloa colona, Hibiscus asper, Hygrophila auriculata, Sorghum purpureosericeum, and Schoenfeldia gracilis.
Among the amphibians, species of interest include Euproctus asper, Rana temporaria and R. pyrenaica.
The snakes include the anaconda Eunectes murinus, fer-de-lance Bothrops asper, palm pit-vipers Bothriechis spp., coral snakes Micrurus spp., the bushmaster Lachesis muta and boa constrictor Boa constrictor.
The more ferocious snakes that occur here include fer-de-lance (Bothrops asper), coral snakes (Micrurus spp.), boa constrictors (Boa constrictor), and bushmasters (Lachesis muta).
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.