from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An insurer; an underwriter.
- n. A person who or thing which assures.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who assures. Specifically: One who insures against loss; an insurer or underwriter.
- n. One who takes out a life assurance policy.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who or that which assures, or gives assurance; specifically, an insurer or underwriter.
- n. One who takes out a policy of insurance; one who is assured.
See French assureur; as if assure + -er (Wiktionary)