from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See abiogenesis.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. The supposed creation of living organisms from nonliving matter.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Spontaneous generation.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Self-production; production independent, in organisms, of parent organisms;
- n. in tissues, of parent tissues; and
- n. in disease, of previous cases of zymotic disease.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a hypothetical organic phenomenon by which living organisms are created from nonliving matter
auto- + -genesis (Wiktionary)