Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To come down; fall.
- To descend; dismount.
- To lower; uncover; take off, as a vizor or hood.
- To let down; lower, as a sail; cause to descend: as, “hath his saile avaled,” Gower, Conf. Amant., viii.
- To make low or abject; depress; degrade.
- v. transitive, obsolete To cause to descend; to lower; to let fall; to doff.
- v. transitive, obsolete To bring low; to abase.
- v. intransitive, obsolete To descend; to fall; to dismount.
GNU Webster's 1913
- v. obsolete To cause to descend; to lower; to let fall; to doff.
- v. obsolete To bring low; to abase.
- v. (v. i.), obsolete To descend; to fall; to dismount.
- From French avaler ("to descend, to let down") (Wiktionary)
“Wud be kindness tu maekz teh fums avale able tu teh kittehz?”
“TechCrunch en franÃ§ais » EA avale le site de Karaoke SingShot”
“The women, generally married at fifteen, were old at thirty, and such was the intensity of life in this "water-logged town" -- as F. Hopkinson Smith somewhat irreverently called it upon one occasion -- that a traveller was led to remark: _On ne goûte pas ses plaisirs, on les avale.”
“Then the judge was much abashed, and commanded to take quick lime and vinegar meddled together, and made it to avale into his throat, and after did do put out his eyes.”
“M. M.rmontel, who made his acquaintance in 1832, represents him as a worn-out, vulgar-looking man of fifty, whose outward appearance contrasted painfully with his artistic performances, and whose heavy, thick-set form in conjunction with the delicacy and dreaminess of his musical thoughts and execution called to mind Rossini's saying of a celebrated singer, "Elle a l'air d'un elephant qui aurait avale un rossignol.”
“_On ne goute pas ses plaisirs icy, on les avale_ [Footnote: They do not taste their pleasures here, they swallow them whole.], said Madame la”
“Le jeu de l’actrice est aussi motivé psychologiquement, par des situations et des actions qui précèdent ou sont simultanés avec l’émission de la parole (l’actrice joue le moment d’ivresse ou elle avale des pilules, essaye de se pende, d’ouvrir ses veines, de tailler ses bras avant qu’elle va parler de ces choses).”
“5 But when his latter spring begins to avale, latter > last, final spring > tide avale > sink down, flow down”
“avale tous profits que la compagnie peut faire dans le futur".”
‘avale’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for avale.