American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An opaque or semitranslucent brown glass flecked with small metallic particles, often of copper or chromic oxide.
- n. Any of several varieties of quartz or feldspar flecked with particles of mica, hematite, or other materials. Also called sunstone.
- n. A kind of glass, containing gold-colored spangles. It was produced in the first place by the accidental (par aventure) dropping of some brass filings into a pot of melted glass.
- n. mineralogy A variety of translucent quartz, spangled throughout with scales of yellow mica.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. A kind of glass, containing gold-colored spangles. It was produced in the first place by the accidental (
par aventure) dropping of some brass filings into a pot of melted glass.
- n. (Min.) A variety of translucent quartz, spangled throughout with scales of yellow mica.
- n. a translucent quartz spangled with bits of mica or other minerals
- French, from aventure, accident (so called because of its accidental discovery or the randomness of inclusions in it); see adventure. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“She sprinkled lavender and mint on his stomach, then followed the lines of the star with a piece of aventurine, mumbling of Mercury, the Roman messenger of the gods and god of travelers, and invoking the element of earth.”
“This top seashell has both cased aventurine as well as "Psyche" which mostly turned purple for me. woohoo!”
“Towards the end, I use my gold aventurine hand pulled stringer.”
“There are quite a few options, silver, gold or palladium leaf or foil, dichro, fine silver wire, aventurine copper flakes or perhaps you're ready to try Cubic Zirconium which are also known as CZs.”
“This one has a small branch made of aventurine with multi shades of green leaves.”
“This week, our Artisan Beaders' Street Team has a lovely pair of green aventurine wavy ovals, faceted jasper briolettes and sterling findings made into earrings to give away.”
“These earrings feature green aventurine wavy ovals, fancy faceted jasper briolettes, and sterling silver findings, and they measure 2.75 inches long.....”
“Prize; Prize Value: An artisan lampwork pendant necklace, a pair of bluestone, rose quartz & aventurine earrings value $75”
“The pendant drop of this necklace uses a beautiful mix of gemstones, from ocean jasper, nephrite jade and green aventurine; to Czech fire polish beads, Swarovski crystals and Bali sterling silver.”
“Swing a aventurine murano glass chandelier over the top and start layering the clashing black and white patterns.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘aventurine’.
Im savin it for later
cool beans dude
hit me man
Get a life dude
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
The descriptive science described.
wrong answers + attractive new vocab
Looking for tweets for aventurine.