from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not contaminated by or associated with any other living organisms. Usually used in reference to pure cultures of microorganisms that are completely free of the presence of other organisms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Containing only a single species of microorganism. For example, an "axenic culture" means that a pure sample of the organism in question has been grown.
- adj. Isolated from organisms of any other species
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. raised under sterile conditions; -- of experimental animals.
- adj. pure or completely free of the presence of other organisms; -- used of cultures of microorganisms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of experimental animals) raised under sterile conditions
- adj. (used of cultures of microorganisms) completely free from other organisms
Researchers can generate bacteria-free axenic mice.
Naturally, once China showed a willingness to abandon its axenic attitude towards foreign devils and all things foreign-devilish, the
Naturally, once China showed a willingness to abandon its axenic attitude towards foreign devils and all things foreign-devilish, the European Powers turned their eyes and energies towards her, and a strenuous commercial and diplomatic race after prospective concessions for railways, mines, and undertakings of all kinds began.
Epimastigote forms of T. cruzi were grown in liver-infusion tryptose axenic medium at 27°C.
On the day 14, trophozoites were eliminated from the co-culture while about 5x10 (4) cells/ml remained in the axenic T. pyriformis culture.
Analyzing this data set, we found that among the list of 443 genes reported by Sillo et al.  to be responsive to a switch from axenic growth of
L. gibba bioassay procedures (like test vessel material, sterilisation and axenic culturing procedures) influence the sensitivity of the bioassay
Actinomycin-D puromycin-HCl axenic cultures nematode, Neoaplectana glaseri
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.