from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Not contaminated by or associated with any other living organisms. Usually used in reference to pure cultures of microorganisms that are completely free of the presence of other organisms.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Containing only a single species of microorganism. For example, an "axenic culture" means that a pure sample of the organism in question has been grown.
- adj. Isolated from organisms of any other species
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. raised under sterile conditions; -- of experimental animals.
- adj. pure or completely free of the presence of other organisms; -- used of cultures of microorganisms.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- adj. (of experimental animals) raised under sterile conditions
- adj. (used of cultures of microorganisms) completely free from other organisms
a-1 + Greek xenikos, foreign (from xenos, stranger; see ghos-ti- in Indo-European roots).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
a- + xenic (Wiktionary)