American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- adj. Not contaminated by or associated with any other living organisms. Usually used in reference to pure cultures of microorganisms that are completely free of the presence of other organisms.
- adj. biology Containing only a single species of microorganism. For example, an "axenic culture" means that a pure sample of the organism in question has been grown.
- adj. biology Isolated from organisms of any other species
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. raised under sterile conditions; -- of experimental animals.
- adj. pure or completely free of the presence of other organisms; -- used of cultures of microorganisms.
- adj. (of experimental animals) raised under sterile conditions
- adj. (used of cultures of microorganisms) completely free from other organisms
- a- + xenic (Wiktionary)
- a-1 + Greek xenikos, foreign (from xenos, stranger; see ghos-ti- in Indo-European roots). (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“Researchers can generate bacteria-free axenic mice.”
“Naturally, once China showed a willingness to abandon its axenic attitude towards foreign devils and all things foreign-devilish, the”
“Naturally, once China showed a willingness to abandon its axenic attitude towards foreign devils and all things foreign-devilish, the European Powers turned their eyes and energies towards her, and a strenuous commercial and diplomatic race after prospective concessions for railways, mines, and undertakings of all kinds began.”
“Epimastigote forms of T. cruzi were grown in liver-infusion tryptose axenic medium at 27°C.”
“On the day 14, trophozoites were eliminated from the co-culture while about 5x10 (4) cells/ml remained in the axenic T. pyriformis culture.”
“Analyzing this data set, we found that among the list of 443 genes reported by Sillo et al.  to be responsive to a switch from axenic growth of”
“L. gibba bioassay procedures (like test vessel material, sterilisation and axenic culturing procedures) influence the sensitivity of the bioassay”
“Actinomycin-D puromycin-HCl axenic cultures nematode, Neoaplectana glaseri”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘axenic’.
"Luciferous Logolepsy is a collection of over 9,000 obscure English words. Though the definition of an 'English' word might seem to be straightforward, it is not. There exist so many adopted, deriv...
The inner or western division of the Jewish tabernacle, as distinguished from the outer part, called the holy place. The holy of holies was inclosed on three sides by the walls of the tabernacle, w...
Words I've heard/read in use, words being learnt, words that I want to eventually use in everyday language, words that are high-brow and elitist and scholarly and obscure, words that display the wo...
Words learned and assimilated.
hostile, hospitable words (many based upon the IE root (g)hosti-) and reactions to the stranger and other words about the qualities of the strange (unfamiliar).
Looking for tweets for axenic.