from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. See cornflower.
- n. Any of several plants that have buttonlike flowers or flower heads.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any one of a number of plants with daisylike, button shaped flowers of the genus Centaurea, especially the species Centaurea cyanus.
- n. A button which may be attached to clothing without resorting to needle and thread.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- A plant with flowers shaped like buttons; especially, several species of Ranunculus, and the cornflower (Centaurea cyanus) and globe amaranth (Gomphrena).
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tropical American herb having rose to red or purple flowers that can be dried without losing color
- n. an annual Eurasian plant cultivated in North America having showy heads of blue or purple or pink or white flowers
Sorry, no etymologies found.