American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. The study of the dynamics of projectiles.
- n. The study of the flight characteristics of projectiles.
- n. The study of the functioning of firearms.
- n. The study of the firing, flight, and effects of ammunition.
- adj. Of, relating to, or engaging in the study of ballistics: a ballistics lab; ballistics experts.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The science or art of discharging large missiles by the use of the ballista or other engine.
- n. The science of the motion of projectiles.
- n. physics The science of objects that predominately fly under the effects of gravity, momentum and atmospheric drag, and dealing with details of their behaviour at the origin and destination of their flight, as of bullets or missiles or rockets.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. The science or art of hurling missile weapons by the use of an engine.
- n. The science treating the motion of projectiles in flight, especially when they are in free fall within the earth's gravitational field.
- n. The study of the characteristics of a cartridge fired from a firearm, and of the processes occurring during the discharge of a firearm.
- n. The division within a police department which studies the characteristics of cartridges fired from a firearm; the ballistics department. The characteristics of the weapons and bullets fired may be used as evidence in criminal investigations.
- n. the science of flight dynamics
- n. the trajectory of an object in free flight
“Whether that will have a noticeable effect on downrange ballistics is not something I've studied.”
“Makes you wonder why ballistics is made out to be "rocket science" ...”
“Fast forward several weeks and much heart-ache and I learned a rather expensive lesson in ballistics and caveat emptor.”
“He also worked in ballistics for major ordinace company durring the "Vietnam conflict”
“I've often said in these posts that the study of ballistics is science, not black magic.”
“I don't see enough inprovement in ballistics to go for a wsm.”
“The study of ballistics is science, not witch craft.”
“All the math in exterior ballistics is realistic and proven so the numbers really are relevant, at least that's my opinion.”
“While there is a difference in ballistics because of different ammo, you can get pretty specific targets. for .223 and the like, you can get the "1000-inch" targets.”
“Looks like the ballistics from the two shootings match.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘ballistics’.
my words. my mind. my gosh.
try not to enjoy it too much.
The new favourite words of people on Twitter.
A script searches Twitter for "X is my new favorite word" and adds it to this list.
unfathomably, glice, cuh, fab, ciggaty, doll, thuggin, oxymoronic, pineapple, succubutt, griming, cheeky and 2369 more...
My big word list.
States of being are listed on oofy.
You can thank Uncle Sam for my interest in firearms.
Looking for tweets for ballistics.