from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A large drum having a cylindrical body and two heads and producing a low, resonant sound.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. a large drum with a low pitch
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The largest of the different kinds of drums, having two heads, and emitting a deep, grave sound. See bass, a.
- n. See in the Vocabulary.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a large drum with two heads; makes a sound of indefinite but very low pitch
Sorry, no etymologies found.