American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A spherical deep-diving chamber in which persons are lowered by a cable to study the oceans and deep-sea life.
- n. A spherical steel deep-diving chamber with perspex windows, in which persons are lowered to the depths by a cable to study the oceans and deep-sea life; the precursor to the bathyscaphe
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a spherical deep diving apparatus (lowered by a cable) for underwater exploration; it is constructed with a strong steel shell to withstand high pressures at the ocean bottom.
- n. spherical deep diving apparatus (lowered by a cable) for underwater exploration
- From Ancient Greek βάθος (bathos, "depths") + σφαίρα (sfaíra, "sphere"). (Wiktionary)
“This "bathysphere" bike owner is even more pathetic than the Mini Tool.”
“Perhaps the "bathysphere" in question belongs to this fellow:”
“A revolutionary vehicle, a "bathysphere," designed and built by the pair following a sketch by Theodore Roosevelt, had made the voyage possible.”
“Enhanced control of autonomous body functions was attained even in the second-generation version, and the third provided a kind of bathysphere capable of "diving" down even to the cellular level.”
“Aug 15, 1934: It’s dark, cramped and creepy, but William Beebe and Otis Barton try to stay calm as they’re lowered in their "bathysphere" to a record depth of 3,028 feet into the sea near Bermuda.”
“A particularly interesting plate (at left), illustrating a large deep-sea fish Beebe named the "untouchable bathysphere fish," or Bathysphaera intacta, which he sighted at a depth of 2,100 feet off the coast of Bermuda.”
“No one can say that we don't play good football," he said after Saturday's game as his bathysphere prepared for the next descent.”
“Three men (Dr. Ken Tashiro, Dr. Jules Masson, and Perry Lawton) are trapped in a bathysphere due to seismic activity.”
“In other respects, the Panamera 4 is very like a Porsche: the stiffness and solidity of the chassis, like a bathysphere hatch; the high-speed data stream from the front wheels to the steering wheel; the ineffable sense of leverage against the road.”
“For those of you who have been living in a bathysphere beneath polar ice caps that are melting faster than a popsicle left out in the midday sun, LA is ground zero for the Cult of the Youth-Obsessed.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bathysphere’.
Words used quite often in steampunk
of or relating to depth
a couple words
There's nothing more to this list, really.
cool mint antiseptic
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Looking for tweets for bathysphere.