from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A ballet move involving a beating action with an extended leg
- n. A thumping or beating sensation
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A beating; striking; impulse.
- n. In music, a trill-like ornament, consisting of a slow shake of a tone with the next tone below, beginning with the latter: common in old-fashioned music.
- n. Opposed to the cadence (see cadence, 4 ) in that in the latter the trill begins with the principal note.
From French battement. (Wiktionary)