from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Baseball A measure of a batter's performance obtained by dividing the total of base hits by the number of times at bat, not including walks.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A statistical estimation of the scoring ability of a batsman; equal to the total number of runs scored divided by the number of times out.
- n. A statistical estimation of the hitting ability of a batter; equal to the number of hits divided by the number of official at-bats. Normally expressed as a real number instead of an average despite the name.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. (an extension of the baseball term) the proportion of times some effort succeeds
- n. (baseball) a measure of a batter's performance; the number of base hits divided by the number of official times at bat
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.