Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A fagot of brushwood; light and combustible wood used for kindling fires.
- n. Milit., a fascine.
- Resembling bavin.
- To make up into fagots.
- n. Impure limestone.
- n. A name on the northeastern coast of Ireland of the ballan-wrasse.
- n. A bundle of wood, or twigs which may be used in broom making. Southern England term. Also, a fagot bound with only one band.
- n. UK, dialect impure limestone
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. Obs. or Dial. Eng. A fagot of brushwood, or other light combustible matter, for kindling fires; refuse of brushwood.
- n. Prov. Eng. Impure limestone.
“Words such as bavin ` "splits" used for kindling 'or killick ` a type of anchor,' for instance, are referred to the OED, so the reader may well look there for an etymology.”
“I is glad I has had mai 1950s an yes, I memember dose daze bavin cap on, koz dis wun is just TOO kyoot!”
“Olso, LeezaB sed “…bavin cap..” end ai thot/red be-hayv-n cap”
“Ai fownd bavin cap at teh ty bowtik adn ai hads to get it cawse ai knew N1iP wud needz it wun dai!”
“Brum, pik it al up pan, tapetity tape, bavin cap, ……maek it dubl wun fer mii tuz.”
“***Fastins on pink 50s bavin cap wiv ducky taep an a CHRG wdoi***”
“***Fastins on 50s bavin cap wiv ducky taep an a CHRG wdoi***”
“Awlso a stokk uv CHRGs and bavin hats fur splort privenshun”
“Fastins on 50s bavin cap wiv ducky taep an a CHRG wdo”
“Fasten on 50s bavin cap an a CHRG wdoi an sikyoor wiv ducky taep”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bavin’.
List of words from phrontistery.info
mei- root words, a changing mixture
Looking for tweets for bavin.