from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A small songbird or warbler of various genera, especially the European garden warbler (Sylvia hortensis), that is eaten as a delicacy in Italy and France.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A small bird, Silvia hortensis, the figpecker.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small bird. (Silvia hortensis), which is highly prized by the Italians for the delicacy of its flesh in the autumn, when it has fed on figs, grapes, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. An old and disused name of sundry small European birds, chiefly of the family Sylviidæ, or warblers, which peck figs, or were supposed to do so.
- n. In extended use One of sundry small American birds, as some of those formerly included in a genus Ficedula.
- n. The European golden oriole, Oriolus galbula.
Italian : beccare, to peck (from becco, beak, from Latin beccus; see beak) + fico, fig (from Latin fīcus).(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)