American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A hybrid that results from a cross between the American buffalo, or bison, and beef cattle and is typically 3/8 buffalo and 5/8 bovine. Beefalo yields leaner beef than conventional breeds of cattle. Also called cattalo.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. a hardy breed of beef cattle derived as a cross between the American bison and domestic cattle, usually being genetically 3/8 bison and 5/8 domestic bovine; -- it yields leaner beef than conventional breeds.
- n. hardy breed of cattle resulting from crossing domestic cattle with the American buffalo; yields leaner beef than conventional breeds
- Blend of beef and buffalo (Wiktionary)
- Blend of beef and buffalo. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
“ A relatively recent new food animal, the "beefalo", a cow-bison (buffalo) hybrid, combines the superior hardiness, foraging ability, calving ease and low-fat meat of the bison with the fertility, milking ability and ease of handling of the cow.”
“Today, the Department of Agriculture recognizes "beefalo" as a distinct type of meat it comes from hybrids that are mostly bovine, with the bison's genetic contribution ranging from 17% to 37.5%.”
“Come birthing season, "it's exciting to walk out and see what you get," says Andrew Hammer , who raises beefalo in Canal Fulton, Ohio.”
“The wild bison that roam the West are far closer to authentic bison than farm-raised beefalo; if they contain cattle DNA, it amounts to at most 2% of their genetic makeup.”
“Still looks like Recruit Buffalo Butt to me, and is still carrying the same (beefalo cow) chip (pattie) on his shoulder.”
“Traditional Indian tacos must include fry bread, meat (beef, buffalo, beefalo, lamb, venison or pork); lettuce, tomato, Cheddar cheese and sour cream.”
“ They asked for your exact street address and will be contacting you about the deductions you took for the “beefalo” tax shelter last year.”
“June 4, 2009 at 1:01 pm yesh! wii call Shadow a herd of beefalo!”
“Is u guiz talking abowt beefalo wile the NB burns?”
“Last time, we were going to our friendly farmer to procure some of his beefalo.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘beefalo’.
Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!
Just kidding. Kind of.
Another of my random palavery lists for words or phrases that haven't yet found a place in one or more of my other lists.
List of portmanteaus, fact and fiction. These make me laugh.
Looking for tweets for beefalo.