from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A direct, straight course.
- intransitive v. To move swiftly in a direct, straight course.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A very direct or quick path or trip.
- n. A dynamite fuse made with a small quantity of dynamite powder along its length, so that the spark travels quickly and at a specific known rate.
- v. To travel in a straight course, ignoring established paths of travel.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The shortest line from one place to another, like that of a bee to its hive when loaded with honey; an air line.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The most direct or straight way from one point to another, as that of bees in returning loaded with honey to their hives.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. the most direct route
Now, towards the west, along I-4, I-95, and on the beeline, which is the road that connects the two, you have some showers you have some storms.
A beeline is the shortest route between two points, not unlike as the crow flies.
Helen says she made a "beeline" for the visiting officer, one of the men who had brought news of Michael's death, and "dragged him into a corner", demanding to know whether he was aware her son had been shot by a British army sniper.
We always make a "beeline" for any ride that is indoors.
"beeline" for the visiting officer, one of the men who had brought news of Michael's death, and "dragged him into a corner", demanding to know whether he was aware her son had been shot by a British army sniper.
I made a beeline for my mom, who was sitting with Tara, my grandmother, and my aunt Diane.
Just as I was about to exit my hotel and make a beeline for the Bolshoi, I ran into one of my most ardent fan girls.
Those minutes ticked by as slowly as a century, but when they were over I made a beeline, still wearing my skates, for the lobby.
I put my head down and make a quick, inconspicuous beeline for the exit.
I made a beeline for the table, noticing that the other women in the room were avoiding the food like the plague.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.