from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To leave behind, abandon.
- v. To be left; to remain.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- v. To leave or to be left.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To leave behind; abandon; let go.
- To remain; continue; stay.
From Middle English beleven, from Old English belǣfan ("to leave, let remain"), corresponding to be- + leave. Merged with Middle English bliven, beliven ("to remain, stay"), from Old English belīfan ("to remain"). More at belive. (Wiktionary)