from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To mean; signify; inform.
- v. To make mean or base, demean.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- transitive v. To make mean; to lower.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- To mean; signify; inform.
- To make mean; debase; lower: as, to bemean one's self by low associations; to bemean human nature.
From Middle English bemenen, equivalent to be- + mean (“to signify”). Compare Middle High German bemeinen ("to mean"). (Wiktionary)
From be- + mean (“base, lowly”), from Middle English mene, aphetic variation of Middle English imene ("average, lowly, mean"), from Old English ġemǣne ("mean, common, average"). More at mean. (Wiktionary)