American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A dog used to hunt game birds; a gun dog.
- n. Informal One that bird-dogs.
- n. A scout, especially in baseball.
- n. A dog used in shooting to retrieve the dead birds, especially an English pointer.
- n. A tout
- v. intransitive To watch closely.
- v. transitive To seek out.
- n. a gun dog trained to locate or retrieve birds
- bird + dog (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bird dog’.
As an ongoing part of my project, Dogs in Metaphor and Idiom, Illustrated, (www.metaphordogs.org) I am continually adding terms. If you know a term that fi...
dog dogs and more dogs anything
I can think of ,canids and their
my favourite African wild dog
all have 42 teeth
Words or short phrases with animal names in them. Since I already have a dedicated list for 'monkey' words I shall leave them out of this one for the moment.
My B Words
Animals that are described or defined by other animals
Looking for tweets for bird dog.