from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A vertical post, usually one of a pair, set on the deck of a ship and used to secure ropes or cables.
- transitive v. To wind (a cable) around a bitt.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- v. To put round the bitts; as, to bitt the cable, in order to fasten it or to slacken it gradually, which is called veering away.
- n. A bollard
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. See bitts.
- transitive v. To put round the bitts.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Nautical, to put round the bitts: as, to bitt the cable, in order to fasten it or to let it out gradually. The latter process is called veering away.
- n. Nautical, a strong post of wood or iron to which cables are made fast.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- v. secure with a bitt
- n. a strong post (as on a wharf or quay or ship for attaching mooring lines)
July 17th, 2008 at 6: 33 am i'm in ff3 on a pc and it looks fine to me … must be mac ff3 users who are experiencing trouble? anyway, i like a cleaner look, personally … grungy sites are great for personal use, but i think the more professional sites look better without it. (however, i wouldn't be against seeing a 'bitt' more personalization here …)
Oofty-Oofty took a turn on a bitt, the rope tautened, and the Ghost, lunging onward, jerked the cook to the surface.
One man I noticed fetch up, head on and square on, with the starboard bitt.
May 26, 2010 at 8:04 pm mai aiez, itt seemz, arre a bitt maor leek-proof den sum…butt ai agreez wiff yoo…
Owur fabrit B&B maiks a termayder “Napoleon” sallid – tehy stakk frosch termayders wif slyses uv mozzarelly adn frosch bayzil leeves untyl teh stak izz abowt fwee inchus ohai, and cut itz intu a rekkytanglol soe itzreezemblols teh paystree Napoleon, – a bitt uv seesawlt adn froschlolee-krakkeded peppur, adn a dreseng uv redoosed balsamick vinnygrrr.
April 14, 2010 at 11:50 am ebbree liddlol bitt halpz, aifinkso!
Ai haz a bitt uv an awf-toppik kweschun – peery oddiklolee ai sea sumwun menshun a paij foar cheezepeeps awn teh buk ov fayses – wuud sumwun pweese letz mih noe wich wun itz izz?
Iz nawt awl dat badd fur meh, btu iz lil bitt frusteraetin wen der iz soe much nunnimploimint in MI an compneez kin bee soe nitpickitty bowt hoo dey hier.
Jenn, lol, yeahhh, I think I watch a bitt more J-dramas, but that's just because it's much faster to finish J-dramas compare to K-dramas.
April 13, 2010 at 1:07 am fankew MMM – bitt imbarrasin as ai hab soe far fayled tu get drest…. no wear is saef!
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.