from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A deciduous shrub or small tree (Ilex verticillata), the most widespread of North American hollies, growing in many variable forms from Minnesota to Texas and Georgia. Also called winterberry.
- n. A Eurasian alder tree (Alnus glutinosa) that is sometimes cultivated in North America, especially for its ability to grow in soils too wet for many other trees.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A tree, Alnus glutinosa, of many practical uses, growing in moist circumstances in Europe.
- n. Wood or other product of the tree.
- n. An alternative name for the American winterberry, Ilex verticillata.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. An American species of holly (Ilex verticillata), bearing red berries.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.