from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several North American freshwater game fishes of the genus Micropterus, such as the largemouth and smallmouth bass.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A variety of sunfish belonging to Micropterus dolomieu.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- An edible, fresh-water fish of the United States, of the genus Micropterus. The small-mouthed kind is Micropterus dolomieī; the large-mouthed is Micropterus salmoides.
- The sea bass. See Blackfish, 3.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A centrarchoid American fish of the genus Micropterus.
- n. A local name, along portions of the Pacific coast of the United States, of a scorpænoid fish, Sebastichthys melanops, or black rock-fish.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. bluish black-striped sea bass of the Atlantic coast of the United States
- n. widely distributed and highly prized American freshwater game fishes (sunfish family)
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.