from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various black-colored beans, especially:
- n. A small black bean having cream-colored flesh and a sweet flavor, used in southern and Latin-American cuisine. Also called turtle bean.
- n. A fermented black soybean having a pungent salty flavor, preserved in salt and used in Asian cuisine.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A bean plant with black seeds.
- n. A dried seed of a black bean plant.
- n. A dried black seed of certain varieties of the common bean, Phaseolus vulgaris.
- n. A fermented soybean, used in Asian cooking.
- n. An Australian tree (Castanospermum australe), also called Moreton Bay chestnut.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. black-seeded bean of South America; usually dried
Sorry, no etymologies found.