Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A name of the fisher, pekan, or Pennant's marten, Mustela pennanti, a large blackish marten peculiar to the northerly parts of North America. Also called black-fox. See cut under fisher.
- n. A fisher, North American marten that has thick brown fur; Martes pennanti.
- n. A cat with black fur.
- v. To do in some respect better than another.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Zoöl.) the fisher, a quadruped of North America allied to the sable, but larger. See Fisher.
- n. the fisher. See under Black.
- n. large dark brown North American arboreal carnivorous mammal
“What caused Qwilleran to step on the brake was the sight of her entourage: a black cat on her lap, a calico curled at her feet, and a tiger stretched on the top step.”
“Episcopalians, and Swedenborgians as well) regard it as unlucky to meet a black cat and lucky to find a pin?”
“Â Â Â "She is simply jealous because we're all smarter than he is," the white cat informed Morwen with a look at the black cat on Archaniz's shoulder.”
“Â Â Â "Mrow!" said the black cat in a complaining tone.”
“Hayden stood aside as Miss Dimwinkle came limping out of the house, a squirming black cat held at arm’s length.”
“Â Â Â Morwen gave the black cat a speculative look.”
“The black cat streaked out into the front yard, made a hairpin turn, and leapt for the porch, where he clawed his way up Archaniz's skirts to a perch on her shoulder.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘black cat’.
List title totally stolen from she. Right, the stock entry for this list should be a two-word phrase where one of the words denotes a colour; even better if the expression has some metaphoric value...
Words where 'black' has a negative connotation.
The awareness of this has been more publically discussed since the 60's, however with the 2008 presidental race, I am curious if any of ...
A tribute to Groucho Marx.
Looking for tweets for black cat.