American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A poisonous New World spider (Latrodectus mactans), the female of which produces extremely toxic venom and has a black shiny body with red markings.
- n. Any of several species of venomous spider, particularly Latrodectus sp.. The bite is painful to humans, rarely fatal to healthy individuals, but can be life-threatening or fatal to infants or young toddlers. Females are marked by a red hourglass shape on the abdomen (see photo, this page, and photos in Wikipedia). Mature males are smaller, of the same black color or a dark brown, have an elongated and slender abdomen (rather than the rotund abdomen of the mature female), and are marked on the dorsal of the abdomen with small flattened diamond shapes of the same scarlet color as the female's marks on the ventral of her abdomen.
- n. A woman who kills one or more of her lovers.
- n. A female martyr (a suicide bomber or shaheed), whose husband was killed.
- n. venomous New World spider; the female is black with an hourglass-shaped red mark on the underside of the abdomen
- From the fact that the female eats its mate. (American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘black widow’.
The bad news: There are possibly tens of thousands of colour collocations in English. The good news is that the pictures retrieved by Wordnik from flickr will probably match the terms this time.
Tolkien worked in the black section
of the dictionary at one point in his life
List title totally stolen from she. Right, the stock entry for this list should be a two-word phrase where one of the words denotes a colour; even better if the expression has some metaphoric value...
Words where 'black' has a negative connotation.
The awareness of this has been more publically discussed since the 60's, however with the 2008 presidental race, I am curious if any of ...
words that evoke magic, mystery, mayhem, magnificence or anything else that glimmers in the grass
Names of various "medicinal" Cannabis strains, harvested from various sources.
These are the nicknames, not the model names. So the F-15 Eagle is listed here as "Eagle."
Looking for tweets for black widow.