from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several North American herbs of the genus Rudbeckia in the composite family, especially R. hirta, having hairy stems and leaves and showy flower heads with orange-yellow rays and dark purple or brown centers.
- n. A tropical African twining herb (Thunbergia alata) cultivated for its showy, usually yellow to orange tubular flowers with dark purple centers.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A flowering annual plant Rudbeckia hirta; the state flower of Maryland.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- The coneflower, or yellow daisy (Rudbeckia hirta).
- The bladder ketmie.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- One of several plants having flowers or heads with a dark center.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. annual weedy herb with ephemeral yellow purple-eyed flowers; Old World tropics; naturalized as a weed in North America
- n. tropical African climbing plant having yellow flowers with a dark purple center
- n. the state flower of Maryland; of central and southeastern United States; having daisylike flowers with dark centers and yellow to orange rays
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.