from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fish: the ruff or pope.
- n. The black-tailed deer (Cervus or Cariacus columbianus) of California and Oregon.
- n. The mule deer of the Rocky Mountains.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A fish; the ruff or pope.
- n. The black-tailed deer (Cervus Columbianus or Cariacus Columbianus) of California and Oregon; also, the mule deer of the Rocky Mountains. See Mule deer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A percoid fish, the Acerina cernua. More generally called ruff or pope. See ruff.
- n. A common name among hunters of the black-tailed deer or mule-deer, Cariacus macrotis (see mule-deer)
- n. of the Columbian deer, C. columbianus: in both cases in distinction from the common or white-tailed deer, C. virginianus.
- n. In India, a name of the chikara or ravine-deer, Tragops bennetti.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. mule deer of western Rocky Mountains
black + tail (Wiktionary)