from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A stew made with a white sauce.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A seafood or meat stew in white sauce.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A white fricassee.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. In cookery, a white fricassee; also, a minced dish, as of cold veal.
- n. A kind of crude soda, obtained at Aigues-Mortes, in France, by the incineration of Salsola Tragus and S. Kali.
- n. A kind of white sparkling wine made in southern France, often called blanquette de Limoux.
- n. A large variety of pear. Also written blanket.
From French blanquette, from Provençal blanqueto, from Frankish *blank (“gleaming, white, blinding”) from Proto-Germanic *blankaz (“white, bright, blinding”), from Proto-Indo-European *bhleg- (“to shine”). (Wiktionary)