from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of various small fishes, such as the cavefish, that have rudimentary, nonfunctioning eyes and inhabit the waters of caves and underground streams.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of various fish, having only rudimentary eyes, that inhabit underground waters
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A small fish (Amblyopsis spelæus) destitute of eyes, found in the waters of the Mammoth Cave, in Kentucky. Related fishes from other caves take the same name.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A cave-fish, one of the Amblyopsidæ, having eyes rudimentary and useless for vision.
- n. A myzont of the family Myxinidæ, Myxine glutinosa; the hag.
- n. Any of the several species of fishes which inhabit caves and have more or less rudimentary eyes.
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.