from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Any of a group of bulbous African plants of the amaryllis family.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A genus of bulbous plants, natives of Southern Africa, named Hæmanthus, of the Amaryllis family. The juice of Hæmanthus toxicarius is used by the Hottentots to poison their arrows.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The popular name of some of the red-flowered species of Hæmanthus, a genus of bulbous plants, natives of the Cape of Good Hope.
- n. The name in the West Indies of Asclepias Curassavica, a species with crimson flowers, common in tropical latitudes.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. tropical herb having orange-red flowers followed by pods suggesting a swallow with outspread wings; a weed throughout the tropics
blood + flower, from its colour. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.