Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The popular name of some of the red-flowered species of Hæmanthus, a genus of bulbous plants, natives of the Cape of Good Hope.
- n. The name in the West Indies of Asclepias Curassavica, a species with crimson flowers, common in tropical latitudes.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Bot.) A genus of bulbous plants, natives of Southern Africa, named Hæmanthus, of the Amaryllis family. The juice of Hæmanthus toxicarius is used by the Hottentots to poison their arrows.
- n. tropical herb having orange-red flowers followed by pods suggesting a swallow with outspread wings; a weed throughout the tropics
- blood + flower, from its colour. (Wiktionary)
Sorry, no example sentences found.
‘bloodflower’ hasn't been added to any lists yet.
Looking for tweets for bloodflower.