Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A small sylviine bird of the genus Cyanecula, inhabiting northern Europe and Asia, and occasionally found also in Alaska; a kind of redstart or red-tailed warbler, having a spot of rich blue on the throat. There are two species or varieties, C. suecica and C. wolfi. Also called bluebreast and blue-throated redstart.
- n. A small Old World passerine bird, Luscinia svecica, the male in spring having a bright blue throat.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Zoöl.) A singing bird of northern Europe and Asia (Cyanecula Suecica), related to the nightingales; -- called also
blue-throated robinand blue-throated warbler.
- n. songbird of northern Europe and Asia
- blue + throat (Wiktionary)
“Norwegian scientists find that some 60 percent of bluethroat females indulged in "extra-pair copulations.”
“I pished, sucking air through my teeth, chacking and tutting, and a bluethroat appeared from behind a pigsty, a beautiful sort-of-redstart for me, almost equally good, its next year’s blue intimated in its delicate pinpricked necklace.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bluethroat’.
how blue is used
birds with singular names from
at least 9 English dictionaries
An extract from the "Zold Tolmacs" project, a HU-EN environmental dictionary compiled by Robert Gulyas in 2000.
AA battery, aa lava, aapa mire, abandon the project, abandon the sewer..., abandoned car, abandoned dyke, abandoned farm, abandoned field, abandoned industr..., abandoned industr..., abandoned land and 5386 more...
A work in progress....Birds from around the world (other than endemic to North America).
Looking for tweets for bluethroat.