from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A person who lives in or frequents bogs.
- n. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a person of Irish birth or descent.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who lives in a boggy country; applied in derision to the lowest class of Irish.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who lives in a boggy country; -- applied in derision to the lowest class of Irish.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One who trots over bogs, or lives among bogs; especially, a contemptuous appellation given to the Irish peasantry, probably from the skill shown by many of them in crossing the extensive bogs of the country by leaping from tussock to tussock, where a stranger would find no footing, and from the frequent use they make of this skill to escape from the soldiery, the police, etc.
bog + trotter (Wiktionary)