from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A fish having a bony rather than cartilaginous skeleton; a teleost.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A fish of the taxonomic group Osteichthyes.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- adj. the menhaden.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A local (Connecticut) name of the menhaden, Brevoortia tyrannus.
- n. A common name of the ten-pounder, Elops saurus, of the family Elopidæ, an abundant and widely distributed fish in tropical seas.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any fish of the class Osteichthyes
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.