American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A fish having a bony rather than cartilaginous skeleton; a teleost.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A local (Connecticut) name of the menhaden, Brevoortia tyrannus.
- n. A common name of the ten-pounder, Elops saurus, of the family Elopidæ, an abundant and widely distributed fish in tropical seas.
GNU Webster's 1913
- adj. (Zoöl.) the menhaden.
- n. any fish of the class Osteichthyes
“They caught eight gudgeon, small bony fish that were good only for soup, but Jenny caught a perch and Rossetti an enormous pike.”
“Jenour-Redmond scrunched himself into a corner, his head tilted, his lips open as he gasped like the bony fish he so resembled.”
“If we push our distant cousins the sharks to one side, we mammals belong to a natural group that includes all modern bony fish bony as opposed to cartilaginous sharks.”
These user-created lists contain the word ‘bony fish’.
At first, this was a list for things found in Dinosaurs: A Concise Natural History by David E. Fastovsky. But now it's degenerated a bit to contain anything dinosaur or fossil related.
Looking for tweets for bony fish.