American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. Nautical A raised covering over a small hatchway.
- n. Offensive Slang An institution for the mentally ill.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Nautical, a wooden framework with sashes and a sliding cover, used in merchant vessels to cover the afterhatch.
- n. Alternative form of booby-hatch.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. (Naut.), [Colloq.] an insane asylum.
- n. See under Booby, Buttery, etc.
- n. pejorative terms for an insane asylum
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘booby hatch’.
Two-word phrases composed of five-letter words. There are a couple with three words (great white shark), but I stuck those on Triads 3.
Study list of difficult words from Daniel Woodrell's novel Winter's Bone. In reverse order: start at the bottom to see words from the beginning of the novel!
Common words or phrases of nautical origin that have taken on different or metaphorical meanings. Chained_bear and I tossed a coin over who would make the list. I won (or lost, depending on how you...
scuttlebutt, taken aback, brass monkey, boot camp, clean bill of health, three sheets to t..., the devil to pay, between the devil..., by and large, the whole nine yards, mind your ps and qs, slush fund and 116 more...
Interesting words from JD Salinger's 1955 story.
Looking for tweets for booby hatch.