from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Nautical A raised covering over a small hatchway.
- n. Offensive Slang An institution for the mentally ill.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. Alternative form of booby-hatch.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. an insane asylum.
- n. See under Booby, Buttery, etc.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. Nautical, a wooden framework with sashes and a sliding cover, used in merchant vessels to cover the afterhatch.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. pejorative terms for an insane asylum
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.