American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. An award given to the one who performs worst in a game or contest.
- n. Informal Acknowledgment of great inferiority, as in ability.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. See prize.
- n. idiomatic A prize or status, often unwelcome, awarded as a joke or disincentive to the loser of a contest or for poor performance.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. an award for the poorest performance in a competition; hence, metaphorically, the recognition of a strikingly inferior or incompetent performance.
- n. a prize given to one who finishes last in a contest
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘booby prize’.
Study list of difficult words from Daniel Woodrell's novel Winter's Bone. In reverse order: start at the bottom to see words from the beginning of the novel!
( personal list )
related (from me):
Words from students at Holy Trinity Episcopal Academy
Looking for tweets for booby prize.