from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- adj. Of, relating to, characterized by, or resulting from a flourishing economy: "Things aren't as boomy as forecasters thought they would be” ( U.S. News & World Report).
- adj. Acoustics Exhibiting excessive accentuation on lower-pitched tones in reproduced sound: "This mode of bass reinforcement by resonance often causes boomy obfuscation of the true musical pitch—something akin to singing into a barrel” ( New York Times).
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- adj. Characterized by heavy bass sounds.
- adj. Of or pertaining to a financial boom.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Hollow; deeply resonant: as, the boomy tone of surf, or of a bell.
The Vibe IIs mostly preserve V-Moda's super-bassy signature, but are less intensely boomy, which is a good thing, since now they've definitely got more clarity in the mids and highs than the old set, and an overall cleaner, more balanced sound.
"boomy", percussive sound that I've never heard in a $500 mandolin.
"This sets up areas in the room where bass energy is too prominent, 'boomy' if you sit there, and other areas where bass energy seems lacking.
"Sadness Is a Blessing" rebuilds Phil Spector's wall of sound for the high-definition generation, and it sounds so boomy it's easy to miss the song's devastatingly simple refrain: "Sadness is my boyfriend / Oh, sadness, I'm your girl."
But it turns out that the raw, boomy space is ideal for vibrating strings and sonic phenomena.
Such a song is "Vieja" presented here as they performed it at Drom apologies for the room's boomy sound.
Make it more boomy ... like it's echoing through the eternity of space.
Why is the bottom end of the music spectrum so boomy and annoying?
It isn't as polished as some competitors, with an unsettled ride, a boomy engine, an interior that feels cheap, and compromised rearward visibility.
Indeed, the tech-boomy/zero deficit/red-hot economy of the Clinton Years was downright odious compared to these salad-days at the dawn of the 21st Century.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.