from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. An item of clothing worn over the stockings, in fashion in the seventeenth century.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. Stocking hose, or spatterdashes, in lieu of boots.
- n. Hose made to be worn with boots, as by travelers on horseback.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- Stocking-hose or spatterdashes, worn instead of boots.
- Extra stockings or leggings formerly worn with boots, and covering the upper part of the leg and a part of the thigh, but not the ankles and feet.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. protective stockings worn with or in place of boots
boot + hose (Wiktionary)