from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A brownish-bronze, lustrous copper ore with the composition Cu5FeS4 that tarnishes to purple when exposed to air.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A reddish mineral that tarnishes on exposure to air; it is a mixed sulfide of iron and copper with the chemical formula Cu5FeS and is an important ore of copper.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A valuable ore of copper, containing copper, iron, and sulphur; -- also called purple copper ore (or erubescite), in allusion to the colors shown upon the slightly tarnished surface.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A valuable copper ore, consisting of about 60 parts of copper, 14 of iron, and 26 of sulphur, found mostly massive, also in isometric crystals.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. a mineral consisting of sulfides of copper and iron that is found in copper deposits
After Ignaz von Born (1742-1791), Austrian mineralogist.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)
Born + -ite, after Ignaz von Born, Austrian mineralogist. (Wiktionary)