from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. One who attends a pugilist in a prizefight.
- n. One who assists or supports another in a contest; a backer.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. One who attends a pugilist in a prize fight; -- so called from the bottle of water of which he has charge.
- n. One who assists or supports another in a contest; an abettor; a backer.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A glassmaker's tool for holding the body of a bottle while forming the neck.
- n. A rack for holding bottles.
- n. One who waits upon another in a prize-fight, administering refreshment, etc.; hence, a backer; a second; a supporter, encourager, or adviser in a conflict or trial of any kind.
bottle + holder, from the bottle of water they provided to the fighter. (Wiktionary)