from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A type of Australasian bird noted for building a large nest decorated with bright objects such as shells and glass.
- n. A person who collects objects for display.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- An Australian bird (Ptilonorhynchus violaceus or Ptilonorhynchus holosericeus), allied to the starling. The male constructs singular bowers or playhouses of twigs and decorates them with bright-colored objects to attract females; the satin bird.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The name of the Australian oscine passerine birds of the genera Ptilonorhynchus, Chlamydodera, etc., constituting with some authors a subfamily Ptilonorhynchinæ, of the family Oriolidœ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. any of various birds of the Australian region whose males build ornamented structures resembling bowers in order to attract females
Sorry, no etymologies found.