from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. Any of several tropical African and Asian perennial plants of the genus Sansevieria, having thick, swordlike, spine-tipped leaves grouped in rosettes.
- n. The fibers of any of these plants, used for bowstrings, cordage, mats, and nets.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. the tenacious fiber of the Sanseviera Zeylanica, growing in India and Africa, from which bowstrings are made.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. hemp obtained from the sansevieria
- n. grown as a houseplant for its mottled fleshy sword-shaped leaves or as a source of fiber
- n. strong fiber that resembles hemp; obtained from sansevieria and used for e.g. cordage
Sorry, no etymologies found.
Sorry, no example sentences found.
Wordnik is becoming a not-for-profit! Read our announcement here.