American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
- n. A curved metal block that presses against and arrests the rotation of a wheel or brake drum.
Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. A piece of wood or metal fitted to a brake-block, or forming one piece with it, and serving as a rubber to retard, by friction with the wheel-tread or-tire, the movement of a wheel.
- n. An element of a drum brake into which the friction-producing brake lining is attached.
GNU Webster's 1913
- n. the part of a brake against which the wheel rubs.
- n. a restraint provided when the brake linings are moved hydraulically against the brake drum to retard the wheel's rotation
Sorry, no example sentences found.
These user-created lists contain the word ‘brake shoe’.
An extract from the "Zold Tolmacs" project, a HU-EN environmental dictionary compiled by Robert Gulyas in 2000.
AA battery, aa lava, aapa mire, abandon the project, abandon the sewer..., abandoned car, abandoned dyke, abandoned farm, abandoned field, abandoned industr..., abandoned industr..., abandoned land and 5386 more...
The collocations below consist of nouns only. Noun-noun collocations are extremely frequent in science (just think of the names of species, chemical compounds or "scientist+invention" type collocat...
discharge lamp, correlation matrix, obidoxime chloride, withdrawal symptom, ipratropium bromide, book lung, zirconium dioxide, octane number, acetyl group, computer accessory, pinto bean, regression equation and 480 more...
Words that relate to bicycling or mountain biking
Looking for tweets for brake shoe.