from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. A gill or similar organ of respiration.
from Wiktionary, Creative Commons Attribution/Share-Alike License
- n. A gill or other organ having the same function.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A gill; a respiratory organ for breathing the air contained in water, such as many aquatic and semiaquatic animals have.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. One of the constituents of the branchial apparatus; a gill. See branchiæ
- Same as branchiæ.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. respiratory organ of aquatic animals that breathe oxygen dissolved in water
Latin, from Greek brankhia, gills.(American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition)