from The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th Edition
- n. An arrow with a wide barbed head.
- n. Chiefly British A wide arrowhead mark identifying government property.
from the GNU version of the Collaborative International Dictionary of English
- n. A mark placed upon British ordnance and government stores, which bears a rude resemblance to a broad arrowhead.
- adj. originally a pheon. See Pheon, and Broad arrow under Arrow.
from The Century Dictionary and Cyclopedia
- n. The royal mark of British government stores of every description, which it is felony to obliterate or deface.
from WordNet 3.0 Copyright 2006 by Princeton University. All rights reserved.
- n. an arrowhead mark identifying British government property
- n. a mark shaped like an arrowhead; used to mark convicts' clothing
- n. an arrow with a wide barbed head
Sorry, no etymologies found.